Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I'm in Love...

People who don't believe in love at first sight have truly been deprived of a decent touring bike. After weeks of tirelessly refreshing the bicycle want ads on Craigslist, I finally stumbled upon this beauty:


It's a Fuji Del Ray--an awesome 19inch/48cm lightweight touring bike made in Japan. Its frame is Feather Si35 Triple-butted CroMo Ishiwata tubing with chrome fork and equipped with Shimano 105 Exage/Sport/Action components. It was made in the 1990's, but compared to the $800 Specialized and $300 Giant OCR 3s I've tried, the Fuji DR rides like a dream.

There are times in life when things just feel right. This test ride was one of them. Once I got on, I didn't want to stop. Weird for me, actually. The original seat was a bit uncomfortable, but after the seller offered to swap it for a Terry women's saddle, it rode like butter. So soft and smooth.

I shall call this beast Dr. Fuji in honor of its future role in transporting me to and from school. Everyday. Possibly in scrubs (^.^)

2 comments:

J said...

Nice bike. It's probably a bit late but you should check out those portable folding bikes. I'm sure one of those will increase your debt quite nicely.

Anonymous said...

It's not really the one I had. I had the Suntour shifter/gears. Have fun with the bike!