Thursday, May 15, 2008

HOLY MOLY, YES!!!

This may come as a surprise to many of you (no, I am not going on vacation again), but I am a compulsive reader. Nary a day goes by that I don't have some sort of tome in my hand, be it a masterpiece fiction or erudite encyclopedia. However, as much as I enjoy reading, very rarely do I come across things that truly blow my mind.

I can think of a few authors--Woolf, Joyce, Kidder, Clavell--who have written works so engrossing and pithy as to make me anticipate when I'll read the next page. To be absolutely honest, much of my reading is driven by this desire to get high through discovering these gems. Nerd, you say? Hardly. A true nerd wears pocket protectors. Clearly, I have more fashion sense than that.

But the real reason for this post is that I have discovered such another worthy book. Quite by accident. One might even say as a result of destiny, which is ironic considering the subject of the book. It's called Yes Man by Danny Wallace, a BBC television producer who at first glance looks nothing like a serious writer. The story documents his decision to say "yes" to any and all questions for several months. No exceptions.

I really can't explain in one blog post why this book affected me so much. You'll just have to read it. And believe it. Open yourself up. However, I will say that even if you don't like it, you'll probably find it incredibly funny and entertaining. Either that or you're just a terribly dull person. But truly, it contains everything you could ever want in a book--humor, sarcasm, sensitivity, verbosity, puns, dogs, and of course, a real bona-fide meaning. A lesson. A "take-home message" my rambling, tangential college English professors would say but refused to come right out and tell you for fear of being too obvious.

Wallace isn't too circuitous, but he does take one on an adventure. Anyway, I can't help but think that maybe that's the whole point. As the saying goes, "life is a journey, not a destination." Yes Man is certainly proof of that.

1 comment:

Michael Dausch said...

was this the book i was responsible for starting the chain reaction of desire for?