Sunday, May 4, 2008

Don't Touch My Butt, Please

Aside from getting robbed, assaulted, and yelled at in Shanghai, I had the rare opportunity of getting a full-body massage. Apparently, my aunt whose house we stayed at frequented one massage parlor who could relieve "the most serious tension" that one had. Well, I wasn't one to turn down spa-like treatment, and with a foot massage thrown in for approximately 70RMB (that's about $10 for two hours of human labor), it was a deal that I couldn't refuse. Besides, my mom wanted it so I had no choice but to come along.

Now, the only massage that I've ever experienced is from a Peer Health Educator gripping my shoulder blades in a painful, vice-like grip. We PHEs pretended to teach people how to massage and relieve stress in college, but as we all know, Americans are deathly afraid of bodily contact. In fact, there is a term for this. It is called the "Personal Bubble" and must be observed at all times. In China, however, this idea is laughable. Instead, they follow a different rule, which is: "shove or be shoved." In other words, the only bubbles that you'll be observing are the ones that some little Chinese toddler is blowing into your face on the overcrowded subway. So, as you can imagine, getting massaged in China was an intensely violating experience.

Because I was a young girl (a "xiao gu niang"), they decided to request a female masseuse rather than a male one. One can debate whether it's more awkward to have a guy or girl rubbing your body, but to me, it's pretty uncomfortable either way. The beginning was alright since she started out massaging my neck, back and face. In fact, she spent so long on my back that I thought that was all there was. However, midway through she told me to lie on my stomach and put my face through a hole in the bed so my face wouldn't get squashed (a rather clever innovation, I thought).

All was going well until her hands made their way to my butt. Now, I don't know the protocol for massages, but I didn't realize the butt was a muscle that needed any manual manipulation. After all, it's just made of fat tissue. Although I did sit a lot on the plane, my butt did not cry out for manual relief, and even if it did, I'd probably just sleep it off.

In any case, the butt massage was thankfully short-lived. Once she got to my legs, I felt a little better, but the whole time I was still thinking: "This is such a violating experience. This is such a violating experience." Strangely enough, when we got to the foot soak and massage, my masseuse commented that I was "unusually relaxed" for a first-timer. Hm. I guess I'm really good at faking.

3 comments:

laflautiste said...

No no, your butt is one gigantic muscle, not all fat.... Well, at least MY butt is one gigantic muscle ;)

I thoroughly concur with the statement that Chinese people have little concept of personal space. I will never (and can't, even if I tried) forget the time when my cousin dragged me bra-shopping (shut up). The clerk helped herself into my dressing room, pushed my back so that I was bent over, stuffed her hand into the bra (which I was still wearing!), and adjusted its contents (>.<) in effort to show me how to maximize the illusion of cleavage. Holy crap.

J said...

Hahahahaha, that is hilarious. I've been to a foot massage place in China, too, but they didn't touch my butt ^^ I guess your butt is just to voluptuous (sp.?) to not touch, eh? Personally, I would feel a lot more violated if a male masseuse massaged my butt. And hey, at least you weren't naked! (You weren't, right?)

Michael Dausch said...

embrace your butt viola. it has feelings too just like the rest of your body.