Wednesday, April 30, 2008

No Photos For You


After spending two-and-a-half weeks in Asia, I have finally returned to the beloved USA. I must say, I have never been happier to step foot in a country so full of trees, grass, orderly lines, and general cleanliness. Of course, Japan was awesome and anyone who says otherwise is surely a Neanderthal, but China was a completely different story.

Now, some of you may be thinking: "Little Asian Girl, where are all the glorious photos that you promised to regale us with?" Well, the short answer is that it got stolen in Shanghai. Yes, some ruthless Chinese thug currently has in his/her possession a broken camera with over 900 photos of me and my mother in various tourist areas looking like silly Americans. The display on my $300 camera broke after taking photos in the rain in Japan, but those enterprising Chinese--God bless their hearts--will take advantage of anything they can get their grimy hands on. As we speak, he/she is probably selling it on the streets of Shanghai at a discounted price: "100RMB! GOOD DEAL BECAUSE DISPLAY BROKEN. LESS TROUBLE FOR PHOTOS TAKING!"

To all the naysayers out there, I do accept part of the blame for the loss. After all, I was carrying it in my messenger bag in the outside compartment rather than the inner one with a zipper where my wallet was. To be fair, it provided easier access since I was the resident photographer for the entire trip. However, you can be assured that after that incident I switched to a tiny purse with a 2-inch strap that I clutched under my armpit for dear life. Public transportation is a veritable goldmine for theft, so it's no wonder why everything in China is fake. At the very least, when stolen, you can comfort yourself with the fact that it only cost you 2 dollars to buy and can be easily replaced.

Anyway, that is the reason that I must continue my egregious habit of stealing other people's photos to post on my blog. I really wish I could show you original art, but at this point, I can't even fake it by snapping pictures around my house. I have no camera.

4 comments:

laflautiste said...

hey you're back!!! sorry your camera got stolen... :(

i concur with china's overall craziness. there are just too many people! but you gotta admit that it's also got a lot of wonderful things too - namely the food and history :)

i wish i spent longer than 6 hrs on Japan when i was there. aaahhh, you need to tell me stories if you don't have photographic evidence!

Kai said...

Jeez, that sucks. Two of my backpacks have 'battle scars' from thieves cutting open the compartments on the Beijing Bus. And last time, some thief had the audacity of reaching into my mom's coat pocket as we were existing a ritzy mall.

Glad you got back safely though! Now you can provide me a list of awesome things to do in Japan! Being guys, Dennis and I have made ZERO arrangements for either country. Somehow I think we're doomed for epic failure.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! sorry about your camera, I'll be so pissed if I were you! Yes, tell us stories!! and I got to fly with ANA sometime, hot stewardess!!

J said...

Wow, that does sound horribly tragic. Well, look on the bright side, you have an excuse to buy a new camera now! And don't tell me you're saving up for med school, the money you save by not buying a camera is not even going to put a dent in your debt =P