Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A New Way of Life

19 days.

It's been 2 weeks and 5 days since I've begun this ridiculous adventure into the world of action potentials, protein compositions, and Einstein's glial cells. Who would've thought that my life would have dichotomized so completely in a little less than a month? It was not so long ago that I was deep in my knees in Shakespearean literature, seeing life through the post-modernist eyes of T.S. Eliot. What a wasteland it is.

Happy memories. Memories of London, the Royal College of Surgeons, and the aroma of tasty pastys while traveling through the brightly colored Underground. I can just barely remember the joys of a great glass of wine, spending entire evenings and early mornings wandering around the city trying to keep my friends from passing out in the middle of the street in a drunken stupor.

Now what?

Now I drink beer in the middle of the afternoon after a 3-hr exam. Some things never change, and yet they're never quite the same.

I may never again eat another Digestive biscuit in Regent's Park, but I sure as heck am going to enjoy a bottle of wine with friends.

And this time I will know exactly why they're vomiting.

4 comments:

laflautiste said...

You made it through three weeks of med school! Congratulations! Just wait til you start cutting up dead people. That's when the real fun starts.

My brain is so fried right now, I can only stare and drool. Yet, I still manage to be waaaay behind in all my classes.

David Ho said...

Haha.... it's completely different eh? I actually think it is quite similar to my high school back in Taiwan.
Now you can imagine the ordeal people will be going through as a kid in Taiwan.
But hey, the greatest happiness comes from the greatest despair~

J said...

Hehe, a little more than 3 months after graduation and I already can't relate to your lives =P (your as in you people in med school) One word, PERSEVERE!

David Ho said...

No words heard ever since this post. Was L.A.G. killed on her adventure?